Dave Dyer wrote:

I discovered when I started testing my model that it created a file called '
.db'. It took me a while to figure out the error. Now, I test for empty
databases and empty fields before trying to use them. :-)

It goes deeper.  I did install a "file exists" check pretty early in
the debugging process; it succeeded because I was using (and expected
sqlite to use) standard Macintosh pathnames with : as the file separator.
It took another 1.5 days to get back to remembering that sqlite
thinks it is a unix application.

??? Sqlite is agnostic about file names. Give it a pathname to suit the underlying file system and it is happy. You might be using some wrapper that messes with pathnames, but that is not Sqlite.