I concurr with Dennis.

Dennis Cote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The question is: should I rush out 3.3.10 to cover this important
> bug fix, wait a week to see if any other bugs surface, or do the
> usual 1-2 month release schedule and let people effected by this
> bug apply the patch above.  What is the opinion of the user community?

Richard,

I think you should immediately post a notice that a new version 3.3.10
will be released on Jan 12 on the home and download pages, and then wait
for the week to see if other bugs surface quickly.

The notice will let users decide if they want to delay their updates or
not. They can use 3.3.9, or they can stay with 3.3.8 for another week.
If they need the latest fix they can use the CVS version. The knowledge
that the new version will be released on a certain date will comfort
most users enough to simply wait (which might also delay the discovery
of more bugs). I think it is the open ended waiting for a new release at
an unknown future date that sometimes frustrates users.

If you don't want to wait for other bugs, then the release early and
often approach is probably better than collecting fixes for a release
every two or three months. I'm not sure how much work you go through
with each release, but suspect that a release after each crash or
corruption bug is fixed, or new feature addition, would not be too onerous.

Dennis Cote