Tom,

As John mentioned below, you need to distinguish between sqlite, the
db library, and sqlite3(.exe)?, the shell program commonly used to
access the data held in sqlite format via the sqlite db library.
Unfortunately, the names are similar, and that can be a source of
confusion.

Your problem lies in that, as far as I can tell, you are building an
application that seems to depend on sqlite3, the shell program. What
you should do instead is that you should ditch it, and use your
preferred method of accessing "the data held in sqlite format via the
sqlite db library." For example, my preferred method of building
applications with sqlite data is via Perl. All I want to do I can do
via Perl. Likewise, you pick your tool of choice. If you know that
tool well enough, you can do anything with it. All sqlite, the db
library, does is that it allows you to manage the data held in sqlite
format. Don't mess with sqlite3, the shell program, else you will
forever be limited by what it can do.