From: John Stanton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:21 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] multiuser DB on network share

That should work quite well. We use such a strategy to implement remote, multi user access to Sqlite databases. the user is unconcerned about locking or contentions.

In our case we made the server run on port 80 (HTTP) and use regular HTTP protocol so that it easily penetrates firewalls. The server in our case can either be a CGI process on a regular WWW server or use a purpose developed multi-threaded daemon which gives better performance.

We make the data transport format XML for uniformity. For example if the usage requirement were to become too intensive for sqlite we can switch the shared database to being PostgreSQL without affecting the clients.

Daniel Önnerby wrote:

Hi all!

At the company I work we have a windows application that use sqlite for the document format and this works great. We are now thinking about if it would be possible to have multiple users to access the db simultaneously from different computers (like a enterprise edition :) ). I have read everything about the multithreading issues and I know that sqlite is not designed to work like this. But I have an idea on how I might solve this in our case and would like to ask the community if you think this is a god idea (or if it would work at all): My idea is to create a small socketserver on the local network that the application holds an open connection to. When someone wants to write (lock) to the DB you always need to ask the socketserver if this is ok. The server will not keep any track of the database itself. The only purpose of the server is so that no one tries to write simultaneously. The server will also notify the applications when a modification has been made (on unlock).

So.. could this work???

Best regards and thanks for the best (and smallest) SQL database ever

made.

Daniel