I've heard this too. Windows networking has some issues with locking.
You might research 'oplocks' or 'opportunistic locking' (or
opportunistic caching)
if you're interested in understanding what it's doing. I was reading
it the other
day and thought it might be the key to making it work correctly if you could
turn oplocks off in windows.