> How is the first client 'contacted' and asked to respond?
> I can't see how this is anything but useless. I can't imagine very many
> programs honor this kind of request since I've never even heard of this
> before last week. If the first client doesn't respond to the request
> it would have to degenerate to a standard lock. Is this an OS hack
> designed in for a specific microsoft application?

I said client OS, not program.  It is part of the SMB protocol and the
client operating system includes an SMB implementation.  Under Windows
it is called the SMB redirector.  The specific protocol request is named
oplock break.  Any SMB implementation that uses oplocks (they have to be
specifically requested at time of open by the SMB implementation) also
has to implement the oplock breaks.

How is this supposed to work correctly without the client being notified?
If I write an application that requires serialized access to a file, and I rely
on operating system locking, if the operating system drops my locks
without notifying me my design breaks. This sounds exactly like what
causes the trashed shared MS Access databases I've seen and network locking
issues I see warnings about here.