here's the detailed description of the apparent bug:

i'm using the _16 versions for getting text from an fts1 table.
if i insert data and select, i get good data, meaning my call to
sqlite3_column_text16(..) returns a pointer to a UNICODE string.
if i update and then select, my call to sqlite3_column_text16(..) returns a
pointer to an ASCII string instead of a UNICODE one. The string if
interpreted visually is the right string, but calling the unicode version of
the function and receiving an ascii string is a problem :-)