On 2/2/07, Dennis Cote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The problem is, not many network filesystems work correctly.

I'm sure someone knows which versions of NFS have working file locking,
at least under Linux.

I doubt it is this easy.  You need to line up a bunch of things in the
right order, with the right versions of nfs, locking services, perhaps
the right kernel versions, the right config, etc, etc.

IMO the _real_ solution would be a package which you could use to try
to verify whether the system you have is actually delivering working
file locking.  Something like diskchecker (see
http://brad.livejournal.com/2116715.html).  The basic idea would be to
have a set of networked processes exercising the APIs and looking for
discrepencies.  Admittedly, passing such a test only gets you a
statistical assurance (maybe if you'd run the test for ten more
minutes, or with another gig of data, it would have failed!), but
failing such a test is a sure sign of a problem.

-scott