On 2/4/07, Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi..

I'm writing a small application for my personal use and would like to
try SQLite.  I have a few basic questions that I didn't see answers for at
sqlite.org and am hoping that someone on this list can help.

First, I'd like to get SQLite installed in the global assembly cache
(for use on my machine with .NET 2.0).  How can I do this?

SQLite isn't managed code: it's unmanaged.  As such, unless you write the
p/invoke code yourself, I'd recommend finding a good SQLite .Net wrapper,
especially one of them that use ADO.Net.  You can then follow normal rules
for GAC registration with the wrapper.

I remember
reading that SQLite uses strong names so it looks like this scenario is
one that has been planned for.  But, I installed SQLite-1.0.40.0 on my
machine using the .exe installer and didn't see any obvious SQLite
DLL in the global assembly cache.

Again, SQLite's  DLL is unmanaged code, not managed, so it  can't go into
the GAC.

Second, can SQLite be used in safe C#, or does it require going into
unsafe mode?

I don't think using the p/invoke services in C# causes you to drop into
unsafe mode, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Finally, is there a simple example of using SQLite in C# somewhere,
especially one that does not assume prior knowledge of SQL?

If you find yourself a wrapper that makes use of ADO.Net, you can find
numerous examples of it's use.

I compile C# programs from the command line and am not using Visual Studio
or other IDEs I have on my machine.  I am using Windows XP (with Cygwin).
SQLite looks really nice - I hope I can use it.

Andrew

With the right wrappers, it should work splendidly (I use it from C# through
a COM wrapper myself.)
Cheers,
Ian