well, the first time you update the row (and, you haven't said what
values you update it with), it succeeds because your WHERE clause
successfully matches.

I'm using the sqlite3_bind functions to modify the values.

Second time, the WHERE clause doesn't match because you have changed
the values. For example, if the first time you went and changed the
value of FirstName to 'Jane', the second time around your WHERE clause
won't match.

I'm keeping this in mind. I'm retaining the old value prior to the
change, what SELECT returns back to me.

You might find thins a lot easier if you set a primary key in the
table, and use that to match the rows.
Agreed, but I'm trying to make this work for the general case, where I
can't assume anything about the design/layout of the tables.