A smaller dll doesn't always mean a faster one. In fact enabling
compiler optimizations generally make a faster executable, but often
lead to an increase in binary size. I think a read only SQLite may be
faster because of locks and other instructions, and it would be safer
in a cgi-bin application. If memory or disk space is an issue on the
third-party server, you may want to try hosting the database on a
networked server.