To: <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:40 PM
Subject: [sqlite] UPDATE colomns based on their values

Greetings!

So, I would like to update some columns based on whether or not they are null. Some of you folks have helped me with ifnull and IS NULL, and I happened to see coalesce, but none of these are working. If I set the value, they will work, but with the checks, they do not get UPDATEd.

Here is the call:

BEGIN;
UPDATE LSOpenJobs SET bdate = '2007-03-02' WHERE ProjID = '215' AND bdate IS NULL; UPDATE LSOpenJobs SET ddate = coalesce(ddate, '2007-03-05') WHERE ProjID = '215'; UPDATE LSOpenJobs SET edate = ifnull(edate,'2007-03-05') WHERE ProjID = '215';
COMMIT;

As you can see, I am using 3 different checks and none of these are working. I know it's something simple, but what it is?

Any ideas?

Maybe the other question is, what defines "IS NULL" or "ifnull" or "coalesce"?

thanks,

josé