Joe Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- Charles Cazabon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On most platforms, the reader sees new data appear in the database
> > periodically as the writer creates new records.  But on Solaris, the
> > reader never sees any updates -- it only ever sees whatever data was in
> > the database when the reader first opened it, even though the writer is
> > continuing to insert new data periodically.
[...]
> I thought that SQLite's use of fdatasync on Solaris should be enough to
> synchronize reads and writes from various processes:
>
>      The fdatasync() function forces  all  currently  queued  I/O
>      operations  associated  with  the  file  indicated  by  file
>      descriptor fildes to the synchronized I/O completion state.

I'd have thought so, too.  I've confirmed fdatasync shows up in the symbols in
the compiled sqlite library, and that two instances of the `sqlite3` SQL shell
don't show the problem.  Unfortunately, two minimal Python programs don't show
the problem either.

That points to the application code -- except that I only see this behaviour
on Solaris, and there's no OS-specific code in the database-related portions
of the application.  I'll continue investigating and try to get to the bottom
of this.  Thanks for the sanity-check.

Charles