I performed a simple experiment where i placed printf statements in the
routines sqlite3FreeX and sqlite3MallocRaw. They seem to be the two lowest
level routines in SQLite that allocate and deallocate memory. I redirected the
output to a text file and imported it into Excel (this may have been the hard
way). I then summed all of the numbers expecting the result to be zero.

What I found was that at the end there was over a MB of memory still allocated.

I can't believe this answer so are there other routines called that allocate
and deallocate memory?

Should I have done this another way?
Ray