Gilles Ganault wrote:
At 11:20 19/06/2007 -0400, Clay Dowling
 wrote:

I'm going to recommend PostgreSQL.

Thanks for the idea, but if possible, we'd rather something really basic, typically a single EXE. Besides, using eg. PostgreSQL would require rewriting our application.

I went through the list of servers on the wiki, and the following solutions look interesting:

http://users.libero.it/irwin/ : uSQLiteServer - An SQLite network wrapper

http://www.oneledger.co.uk/sql4sockets.html

dhRPCServer + dhSQLite-COM-Wrapper http://www.thecommon.net/8.html

http://www.protracksource.com/node/42 : "SQLite Server is a free database server that is the central data store for Pro Track Source Connected. It comes with your purchase of Pro Track Source Connected, but we also offer it here for a free download in case you have lost it." (CHECK if server can be used with any SQLite client)

=> BTW, I though of a simple solution: a web-like server process that uses HTTP for the protocol, and commands are sent with the POST method. HTTP is tried and true, and since we use TCP, the server can be configured to only accept a single connection at once, taking care of concurrency.

Does someone know if something like this has been done?

Thank you.

I wrote such a server. It uses HTTP and embeds Sqlite. It is multi threaded and works very effectively. It handles file serving for regular WWW purposes, and RPC mechanism for AJAX style database access from a browser. It also includes an embedded server pages processor.

Embedding Sqlite in such a server is an effective way of getting a highly eficient network database. In operation the server barely registers CPU usage, an indication of the effectiveness of the approach. I carefully use sendfile/TransmitFile for network traffic to get good throughput.

Such a server can be made simpler then mine by making it single threaded.