yes, after reflecting on it that may be the easiest and less processor intensive...

Thanks,

Scott

John Elrick wrote:
Scott Derrick wrote:
I have an application that is inserting a record every second. There are thousands of periods from a few seconds to hours long where the data in all the columns is identical thus causing hundreds of thousands of duplicate rows.

Is there a way to set up the INSERT statement to allow the insertion of a new row of data, where one or more columns has data != to the previous insertion, but ignore or skip the insertion of a duplicate row?
Is there some reason you couldn't simply do that in code? Cache the last inserted row, compare before calling insert and skip if it is identical?

John

-
As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air however slight lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

    William O. Douglas, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court