On 9/16/07, Zbigniew Baniewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've found a remark regarding write concurrency in SQLite:
>
> "All SQLite write operations obtain an exclusive lock on the whole database"
> ( http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg18342.html )
>
> Doesn't it mean, that database is protected enough already by it's internal
> design, and there's no need to take care about that "dot locks"?

The default locking mechanism relies on the underlying filesystem to
provide the needed locking guarantees.  In this case, the OP is
needing to access a database on a networked filesystem, and many
networked filesystems are unable to provide proper locking.  So no, if
the underlying filesystem is "broken", the database is not protected.

Dot files replace the locking mechanism with a convention that skips
the filesystem, but the consquence is that if anything else accesses
the database file without respecting that convention, corruption may
occur.