Hi Richard,

This might be worth a read. This paper discusses limitations of custom
memory allocators:

  Reconsidering Custom Memory Allocation
  http://www.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/berger-oopsla2002.pdf

This post by Emery Berger outlines the problems with Apache Portable
Runtime (APR) memory pools specifically:

http://apache.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=120623&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=10160124

Emery Berger's Hoard memory allocator is widely used in multi-threaded
programs to improve concurrency. I've used it and the speedups are quite
remarkable. In one case, a multi-threaded server throughput was 4X faster
on a 8 CPU box - just by changing the malloc implementation to Hoard.
Mind you, programs with coarse-grained locks will not see that sort of
performance increase.

As far as general compactness of memory allocation goes, I've had great
success with Doug Lea's malloc implementation. Highly recommended.

  http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/html/malloc.html
  http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/pub/misc/malloc.c
  http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/pub/misc/malloc.h
  http://g.oswego.edu/