--- "D. Richard Hipp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2007, at 10:55 PM, Joe Wilson wrote:
>
> > http://home.pacbell.net/ouster/threads.pdf
>
> JO and I reach a similar conclusion but by different
> reasoning, I think.

I like this line:

  Should You Abandon Threads?
  * No: important for high-end servers (e.g. databases).

If you use the idiom whereby each thread solely takes its tasks
from a thread-safe work queue, you can have a clear separation of
responsibilities and minimal or preferably no shared-state between
threads. You get concurrency as a side effect of this simple hybrid
event-passing/thread scheme.

Thread madness lies in complex multi-layer mutexes and shared data.