--- P Kishor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I discovered Joe Wilson's fairly detailed
> description on the mailing list (see
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg24917.html>).
> This is what should have been on sqlite.org to begin with. Want to
> something silly? Joe provided a patch to the Makefile, but I don't
> even know how to apply a patch. Yes, to someone who doesn't know these
> things, they are all mysteries. So, I basically eyeballed each line
> and hand edited my Makefile.
>
> Well, one line in Joe's patch looks like so
>
> +# FTS2 (optional)
> +LIBOBJ += fts2.lo fts2_hash.lo fts2_porter.lo fts2_tokenizer1.lo
>
> I followed the above, but look above... fts2_tokenizer.lo is missing
> from the line above. Since I followed the above blindly, I started
> getting the missing symbol error.

Sorry, those fts build instructions worked at the time it was posted.
Patches have a limited shelf life. Typically, they are good for
one specific version of the code.  fts2_tokenizer.c was a new source
file created after those instructions were posted, which is why it broke.

To apply an sqlite3 patch:

  cd sqlite-3.x.x
  patch -p0 < file.patch
  make distclean
  ./configure && make

It would be nice if Makefile.in were updated to allow the inclusion
of FTS[123] in the sqlite3 library itself without the need for external
modules:

  http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/tktview?tn=2791

If this patch were applied, you would need to only uncomment one of the
following lines in Makefile.in or the generated Makefile:

# uncomment to build fts1 as part of library
# TCC += -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS1=1

# uncomment to build fts2 as part of library
# TCC += -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS2=1

# uncomment to build fts3 as part of library
# TCC += -DSQLITE_ENABLE_FTS3=1