Hi Igor,

Thanks for the insight.  I'm used to doing stored procedures for web
apps, which conditionally execute statements based on state and/or the
presence of variables.  Consider this construct, which I built recently
to populate a table with URL for a web spider bot I built:

CREATE PROCEDURE AddLinkInfo
(
    @ProviderName VARCHAR(200),
    @LinkPath VARCHAR(200),
    @LinkText VARCHAR(200)
)
AS
    DECLARE @ProviderID    INT

    -- only store a link if it isn't already listed in the database
    IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT LinkPath FROM SpiderBot WHERE LinkPath = @LinkPath)
        BEGIN
            -- is this a known provider?  if not, add it into the DB and
then assign it's new ID
            IF EXISTS(SELECT ContentProviderID FROM
SpiderBot_ContentProviders WHERE ProviderName = @ProviderName)
                BEGIN
                    SET @ProviderID    = (SELECT ContentProviderID FROM
SpiderBot_ContentProviders WHERE ProviderName = @ProviderName)
                END
            ELSE
                BEGIN
                    INSERT INTO SpiderBot_ContentProviders VALUES
(@ProviderName)
                    SET @ProviderID = @@IDENTITY
                END

          -- do the main content insertion
            INSERT INTO SpiderBot (ContentProviderID,LinkPath,LinkText)
VALUES (@ProviderID,@LinkPath,@LinkText)
        END
GO

How would I got about re-writing something like this in SQLite?  Thanks
again for your help.