On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:55:20PM -0500, P Kishor wrote:

> right, but for most other programs (and, in fact, as I understand it,
> this is the normal behavior for GNU's autoconf), the default behavior
> is to put everything that matters under /usr/local... that is,
> binaries under /usr/local/bin, libraries under /usr/local/lib, and so
> on, *unless* specified otherwise.

No, it depends on the distribution maintainers intentions. In most cases
"/usr/local" is the hierarchy *especially* for the software installed by
user, when he's *not* installing it from distribution packages (just like
you were installing SQLite from sources). But in a consequence there's even
not always /usr/local/bin in your command PATH; sometimes you have to add it
in your .bashrc "manually".

But not always: it's rather about OpenBSD, what you wrote above, that it has
"everything that matters under /usr/local" - while f.e. NetBSD has it splitted
into /usr/pkg (software installed from pkgsrc) and /usr/local (all the other
software) - which is better solution, IMHO. More clean and tidy.

There's no fixed "once for always & all" rule.
--
                                pozdrawiam / regards

                                                Zbigniew Baniewski