-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fred J. Stephens
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:23 PM
To: Michael Hooker; General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] reading MS Access 97 files

Michael Hooker wrote:
> I dare say someone will ask why you don't use Access 97 (or later) to
> display the file.  It would be the easiest option, after all!  If you
don't
> have Access try OpenOffice, it's free.
>
> If you really want to use Sqlite I'd load the file into Access (or
> OpenOffice), export it as comma or tab delimited text and start from
there.
> You won't get any pretty colours or text formatting in Sqlite.  And it
may
> be that the file has all sorts of strange columnar formatting,
formulae and
> labels that make it unsuitable for transfer to a plain ordinary
database
> format, where all rows have an equal number of columns, and each
column has
> the same type of data in it.  Spreadsheets are designed for flexible
> display, whereas a database is inflexible (but that is often its
strength -
> you know that column 5 will always be the price of your widget, and
not a
> label or a formula).   If the Access file has many pages, each page
will
> have to be exported and turned into a separate table, with any
necessary
> linking done through your Sqlite SELECT queries.
I'm confused here - are we talking about Access, the database or Excel
the spreadsheet? You are probably right about the easiest way to get the

data out so he can use it though, except that I don't think OO handles
Access databases except through the ODBC driver.