John Grant wrote:
> @All,
>
> Thanks for the replies.  I would like to say that I am new to this, and
> I've spent many hours trying to find documentation so that I don't look
> like an idiot on any forums.  :)  With that said, I'm very confused.
No problem, I am probably going to make one out of myself, but I will
try to help
until more competent advice comes along.

> I guess I was under the impression that SQLite was a library for reading
> databases of various formats.
No, SQLite IS a database. It can be used to replace others like Access,
MySQL etc. However, (and I went through this confusion when moving to
Linux and away from Access) Access is more than a database engine, it
also a report generator, query creator, form designer, etc.
SQLite is just the database engine (or library or command line tool).
You provide your own code to create the tables, insert data, and work
with it.

  I have a file that can be viewed with MS
> Access.  I have tested this myself.  Open Office immediately closed
> (probably crashed) when I tried to open the file with its 'Base'
> program.  I need a library that can help me load that same data into my
> application.  It does not help me to view the data in MS Access or other
> applications.
What language is your application written in? You may be able to use the
ODBC driver from within that language.

> What do you mean when you say I need a driver?  Are you telling me that
> SQLite can read the file or not?  If not, do you know of a library that
> will help me with my task?
An ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) driver lets you read data out of a
database, without having it's native application. I think that is
roughly correct. So, no, SQLite won't open the file and won't help you
until you get the data out of Access format. The only way I know offhand
to do that without exporting it in csv (comma separated values) or
something, is an ODBC driver.
Hope this helps.
Fred Stephens