Yes this can be Done.

There are two approaches.
   A. Modify the sqlite code.  (ok for a one off but not very portable)
   B.  Write your own VFS driver. (portable and more as the author intended).

   http://www.sqlite.org/34to35.html

The best situation is if you are starting with an empty DB. Then you can create
it without journalling. If the process crashes in the middle, you'll have to
start over again. That shouldn't be an issue since you have all of the original
data.

The other situation is if you have a database that has data. Then you need to
take a backup first. Then proceed with the load. If it crashes restore the
backup.

HTH,
Ken

Phil Sherrod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I have an application that requires
creating a database with about 50
million records.  Is there any way to turn off journaling and rollback
during the creation? I am willing to sacrifice reliability for speed in this
situation.