My experience is that this kind of problem tends towards a he-said,
she-said type of thing, and what happens in the end is that everyone
is correct from their perspective, but there was some little bit of
non-obvious thing that made one party's understanding of the encoding
slightly different from the other party's.  For whatever reason, UTF
encoding seems to suffer badly from Murphy's Law :-).  Been there,
done that.

I think the best solution would be to post a self-contained
replication of the problem, rather than a description of what you're
doing.  A main() in a .c file would probably be the best way, but it's
possible that a shell script (calling sqlite3) or a TCL script (using
tclsqlite3) would also be adequate.  In my experience, either you'll
find that you can't replicate it in a standalone .c file (which is a
valuable hint of ... something), or you'll find that other people
don't have the same problem (also a valuable hint), or someone will
suggest a one-line change which totally fixes it.

-scott