[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
> I like to distribute my application on a CD.
> This application has a sqlite database which will be part of the
> distribution.
> I do not like anybody reading/accesing the database directly, so I put
> the database file inside a zip file which is password protected.
> My application is written in VB, and I have hard coded the password
> inside the VB program.
> When the application loads, it opens the password protected zip file,
> and extracts the sqlite file within it.
> Now, I do not want to write this db file to any temporary location on
> the hard disk. Is it possible to load the entire sqlite file in memory
> and the application read data from it?

If your database is so small that you would want to read the whole thing
into RAM from a zip file before each use, then you could instead avoid
distributing a SQLite file instead, but rather put all the SQL
create/insert statements for it in your application binary instead, and
then when the application starts up, create a memory-only SQLite database
and run those SQL to populate it.

If you still want to distribute your data as a SQLite file, then I suggest
instead you pay D Hipp's fee for the SQLite with built-in encryption and
then you can just distribute encrypted SQLite databases and use them off
disk, with no need to load it all into RAM to protect your data; this
approach is also a lot faster performing if your data set is large.

If you're just worried about people modifying the database and not just
reading it directly, well a CD is a read-only medium, if they run the
program straight off of it.

-- Darren Duncan