[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Gerry,
>

>> Much care and thought have gone into setting up the default behaviors in
>> SQLite.
>> My advice would be not to use any pragmas initially.
>>

> That may be the safe solution, but my impression was that SQLite
> defaults to conservative settings that may not apply to many of today's
> high RAM workstations.
>
> Since I asked my question, I came across the following article that
> suggests 4 common pragma opportunities for optimization. The article is
> from 2006 so I don't know if its advice still applies to the current
> version of SQLite.
>
> http://web.utk.edu/~jplyon/sqlite/SQLite_optimization_FAQ.html#pragmas

The statement below from that article makes it clear that the
information in the article was not up-to-date even in 2006:

/(This PRAGMA is not fully implemented, as of 2.8.6.)
/

Versions 2.8.15 and 3.0.3 date back to July 2004, and 2.8.6 is from
August 2003.

There is no doubt that pragmas can improve performance for lots of
different circumstances. Limited RAM, lots of RAM, among many
possibilities. Knowing about the kinds of things that can be done is a
Good Thing.

But my advice stands. Set things up and see how things work. If you
want/need better performance, start tweaking.

But there is a good chance that the performance "out of the box" will be
fine.

Gerry