Regarding:   I think you're right for general purpose applications. But
if you have ETL or data conversion/analysis applications that can be
re-run after a failure (using source content), this type of pragma
sounds like a reasonable choice.

         Malcolm
===================
Hi Malcolm,

I very much agree with your statement -- I turn it off sometimes myself
to good effect.  But the webpage will be read by all sorts of users, and
there was not a mention of the conditions under which this would be wise
or foolhardy.  A newbie might well turn off synchronous inappropriately,
take an application to production, then lose all her data.  It just
seems (to me at least) quite unfriendly not to include a warning when
suggesting synchronous=OFF.

Your mileage may vary.

This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using
multiple scanners. We believe that this email and any attachments are virus
free, however the recipient must take full responsibility for virus checking.
This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this
email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any
purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.