I have tried to import  data  from a file  in the same directory. I have
tried leaving out the  primary ley
value in the file, giving the complete path of the text file, quoting
the text file,  explicitly changing the separator...
I can type in a record just fine. Why can't I get .import to work?

hornbill% 10:43>cat testD.txt
1|11|10|10|29|1|1
2|10|11|11|39|2|1
3|10|11|11|30|3|1
4|11|11|11|17|4|1
5|11|11|11|23|5|1
.
.
hornbill% 10:43>od -c testD.txt | more
0000000   1   |   1   1   |   1   0   |   1   0   |   2   9   |   1   |
0000020   1  \n   2   |   1   0   |   1   1   |   1   1   |   3   9   |
0000040   2   |   1  \n

hornbill% 10:45>sqlite interactions.db
SQLite version 2.8.17
Enter ".help" for instructions
sqlite> select * from sqlite_master;
table|HMMpair|HMMpair|9|create table HMMpair (HMMpairID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,

                     DnumStages INTEGER,

          LnumStages INTEGER,

         seed       INTEGER,

        numTrees   INTEGER,

         numLeaves  INTEGER,

        paramSet   INTEGER)
sqlite> .import testD.txt HMMpair
unknown command or invalid arguments:  "import". Enter ".help" for help

.