> You can improve performance (space/speed) a little by changing the
> RTREE_MAX_DIMENSIONS at the top of rtree.c to match you data set.   It
> defaults to 5 dimensions, but you could reduce to this to 2, or 3 with city
> size.
>
> #define RTREE_MAX_DIMENSIONS 5

Hi Shane,

thanks for the answer.

AFAIK, this wouldn´t work though, as 3 dimensions would mean that you could
only query if a given point is in a line?

If i do a 3 dimensional rtree, then

1 field = ID
2 field = longitude_min
3 field = longitude_max (and NOT latitude)

The third parameter also always needs to be smaller than the second one passed
(or generally spoken, the second one has always to be bigger than the first
one), otherwise a rtree request wouldn´t work...

Say we would do such a 3 dimensional rtree (id, longitude, latitude) - how
could I query for cities in a given rectangle?

Select * from rtree where longitude>longitude_minimal and longitude<maximal and
latitude>latitude_minimal and latitude<latitude_maximal?

Would that actually work?

Christophe Leske

www.multimedial.de - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linkedin.com/in/multimedial
Lessingstr. 5 - 40227 Duesseldorf - Germany
0211 261 32 12 - 0177 249 70 31