On Jul 28, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Rob Sciuk wrote:

> I've enabled the thread-safe option, and compiled sqlite3.5.9 against
> tcl8.5.3, also PDO in PHP 5.2.5, and used it in web sites both with
> PHP,
> and Tcl/Rivet under Apache 1.3.41.  Sqlite seems to consistently choke
> either in rivet, or under PHP with a similar problem:
>
>       Fatal error 'Recurse on a private mutex.' at line 988 in file
>       /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 9)
>       Abort (core dumped)
>
> My apache logs are full of these messages ... and I get the same thing
> when I run under tcl manually ...
>
> I configured sqlite3.5.9 with --enable-threadsafe
> --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib [the path containing the current
> tclConfig.sh
> file], and did a normal compile/install which was uneventful (though
> I had
> to copy the libtclsqlit* libraries out of the .libs directory to
> /usr/local/lib by hand, as the make install did not do this for me).
>
> Has anyone seen sqlite tilt in this manner before?  Am I missing
> something?  I will work on a minimum tcl/php script to cause the
> problem,
> but surely this cannot be a completely isolated problem, as sqlite is
> everywhere, isnt' it 8-)?

Perhaps FreeBSD does not implement recursive mutexes.  In that case,
you can try to recompile with -DSQLITE_HOMEGROWN_RECURSIVE_MUTEX=1 and
see if that helps.  It would be good to review the comments in
mutex_unix.c to see if the HOMEGROWN_RECURSIVE_MUTEX implementation
really is safe for FreeBSD.

D. Richard Hipp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]