All you need to do is pass the string ":memory:" to sqlite3_openxxx
and it will open a memory-backed database.  That said I think your
first order of business should be to try and define a good abstraction
around the whole thing. While my C++ is a little rusty heres some C#
pseudo code to get you started:
public abstract class DbObject
{
        // gets /sets the current versionid of this object. set = undo
        protected virtual long VersionID
        {
                get{...}
                set     {...}
        }

        // the 'instanceid' of this object
        protected long ObjectID{get;set;}

        protected object getValue(string propertyName);
        protected void setValue(string propertyName, object value);
}