<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I understand that the SQLite database resides in memory.

Not usually, no. There's an in-memory cache of recently accessed pages,
but most of the database (especially a large database) remains on disk.

> Now lets say a database is 10Gb in size and it is written to disk.
> Would not writing a 10Gb file to disk take a very long time?

Probably.

> Now perhaps SQLite can just write the part that has changed to disk.

It can.

> If this is the case, then how does it know which sectors on the hard
> drive to update since it isn't writing the entire file to disk

Well, that's the job of a DBMS - to know which rows have changed, and
where in the file they should be stored. That's the whole point of the
exercise.

> Can someone explain to me how all of this work?

See if this helps: http://sqlite.org/arch.html . And if you really want
to know how _all_ of this works, you can always study the source code.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. -- RFC 1925