Sqlite maintains its data in a disk file.  It only reads and writes to
that file sufficient bytes to maintain changes to the database or to
satisfy the query.  It uses memory to cache data while it processes it
and will write changed parts of that data back to the disk file.

Fundamentally Sqlite organizes data as "pages", fixed size chunks of the
disk file.  It reads pages and writes back altered or freshly created ones.