On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 08:25:34AM -0500, jason weaver scratched on the wall:

> What is the julianday("now") equivalent in python?  I can't find a simple,
> straight-forward answer to this question.

  Just ask SQLite for the time:

    SELECT julianday('now');

  (It is single quotes, BTW).

  This should require no locks, no database I/O, and pretty much no
  other resources from SQLite, so you can call it each time you sample
  a new record.  You can then queue them up and and actually insert
  them as needed.  Asking SQLite also means you use the exact same
  date translation code for all operations, which is always a good thing.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson