> I tried that on sqlite3 version 3.6.6 and the return value was "OFF"
> but the
> journals are still being created. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Did you set

        PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF;

? The way I read the documentation (on a second or third close
reading, I think), this only sets the default value for new databases
to be attached, but doesn't affect your main connection and any
databases that have already been attached.  So what I do is

        PRAGMA main.journal_mode = OFF;

IIRC, I needed this line to actually turn off the journals (tested
with 3.4.x and 3.5.x versions of SQLite only, though).

Cheers,
Stefan