On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 08:48:00 +0000, Kim Boulton
<k...@jesk.co.uk> wrote in k...@jesk.co.uk, General Discussion
of SQLite Database <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>:

> *Then queried the Sqlite3 table with:*
> PRAGMA cache_size = 20000000; */uses up 1.5GB RAM regardless*/

cache_size is expressed in number of pages.
default_cache_size is useful too.

> PRAGMA page_size = 20000000; /*this doesn't make any difference*/

PRAGMA page_size will only make a difference if you use it
when creating the database (before the first table is
created), or just before a VACUUM statement.
Don't make it too big. 4096 or 8192 are a good start to
experiment with.

> Unless anyone has some good ideas I might
> have to give up on Sqlite.

I'm sure you can get more performance if you tweak page_size
and cache_size with some more understanding.
Use whatever engine is best for the task.
--
  (  Kees Nuyt
  )