I have no idea why it doesn't work in that way, it used to
in my application. however, just a few points:

maybe your BEGIN wasn't successful and you didn't realize ?
maybe you run the INSERT on a DB handle that was not the one
that invoked the BEGIN ?
maybe your COMMIT wasn't successful and you didn't realize ?
maybe your are not in threadsave mode ?

I suggest that you post at least a part of your code here,
or even better a short example that shows the problem.
This usually gives the people here a better chance to provide
useful hints.

hope this helps

Marcus