Thanks Nick,

good point. ahh yes, I've read about this somewhere...

My extension is currently ".db", a quick check indicates
that using ".abc" gives a slight speed improvement, maybe 10%.
But that is allready very close to the variation I get between
different test runs, so I'm not really sure if I have this
"microsoft effect" here.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

Well, I think now there is nothing wrong here,
it is just as it is... Currently I achieve about 10 transactions/second, maybe
not that bad... still slower than the "few dozen" that are mentioned on the
www pages, but I agree that there too many issues that may affect the disk
speed.

Marcus