On 31 May 2009, at 5:53pm, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:

> the real point here is that Python and SQLite aren't doing real
> transactions

But they /are/ real transactions.  You write rows, and read them back,
and the values are there.  Use SQL commands in the way they're meant
to be used and the DBMS does what you expect it to do.  It doesn't
crash your application, and it doesn't return the wrong values.  The
fact that instead of being written as magnetic domains on a disk
surface your data is floating around several layers of caching may be
a problem if your computer crashes, but only then.  It's not as if you
have several computers accessing the hard disk and they were each
getting different answers.

> But by disabling the IDE hard drive write cache:

I see what you're saying, but the IDE hard drive is unmistakably part
of the storage system.  It may not be the write-head and platters but
it's part of the hard drive system.  My feeling is that even if you
know from spin speed that it's impossible to write that fast, you
can't really start splitting the mass storage system up in that way,
you just have to accept that a 'write' command does writing.

The subject header says 'Slow Transaction Speed'.  You get fast speed
when you let all the caches do what they normally do (default
settings).  Compare those with other implementations of SQL and SQLite
does pretty well.  I don't see any reason to complain.

Simon.