On 3/06/2009 5:15 PM, robinsmathew wrote:
> its showing an error near "if": syntax error

"it", my crystal ball tells me, is an SQL processor, behaving much as
expected when fed what looks like an "if" statement in some other
language ...

> Kees Nuyt wrote:

>> Pseudocode:

google("pseudocode")

>> BEGIN;
>> UPDATE stock_tab SET ..... WHERE stock_id = 10000;
>> if sqlite_error()
>>      INSERT INTO stock_tab SET (...) VALUES (...);
>> endif
>> COMMIT;

Try this exploded version, written using functions in some arbitrary
wrapper language, which you need to translate into whatever language you
are using, supplying missing arguments like a connection and maybe a
cursor, and adding error-checking where appropriate:

exec_sql("BEGIN")
exec_sql("UPDATE stock_tab SET ..... WHERE stock_id = 10000")
if an_error_happened():
    exec_sql("INSERT INTO stock_tab SET (...) VALUES (...)")
exec_sql("COMMIT")

HTH,
John