On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:06:31PM +0100, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> [...]
> -lpthread -lc   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libsqlite3.so.0 -o .libs/libsqlite3.so.0.8.6
>
> If the order of libpthread and libc are exchanged, the library can be
> built. In other words, libc needs to be linked before libpthread, not
> the other way around.

Hmm, that's really odd.  On S10 libpthread is an empty filter on libc,
which is a fancy way of saying that all of the code in libpthread moved
to libc and libpthread is just a shell saying as much so that older
programs linked with libpthread can still run.  You should not add
-lpthread to the link-edit of any program or shared object in Solaris 10
or above, but if you did the order in which -lpthread and -lc appear in
the link-edit command-line should make no difference.

> I've no idea if that is a bug in gcc, a bug in libtool or a bug in sqlite.

I don't see -lpthread in configure.ac, but I do see this in the output
of ./configure:

checking whether to support threadsafe operation... yes
checking for library containing pthread_create... none required

and then the generated Makefile does actually include -lpthread, but
only for building the Tcl module, testfixture, and sqlite3_analyzer:

./Makefile:LIBTCL = -L/usr/lib -ltcl8.4 -ldl  -lsocket -lnsl -lpthread -lm

Very strange.

Nico