On 12 Jun 2009, at 23:46, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> I don't know if you work for Sun, but if you do, it would be really
> good
> if Sun made some open-access Suns available for developers to test
> their
> code, like HP do.

Surely this would only matter for SPARC-related issues (which I don't
think we're looking at here, are we?)  I can't imagine anyone finding
it too much hard work to install a Solaris x86 on a VM (both available
free of charge, from Sun even, if you use virtualbox).  The situation
is different for HP-UX & AIX which don't run on (VMs on) commodity HW,
and even if they did might not be legal to run there.

The Sun compilers are free as well (though not open source to my
knowledge).

My experience (I'm contracted through Sun at the moment) is that
virtually the only place where you need to care about the x86/SPARC
thing is differences in booting, which won't matter for SQLite.  I
guess compiler options &c might be different, and certainly getting
good performance from the CMT systems would probably require access to
them.