On 14 Jun 2009, at 4:43pm, Kermit Mei wrote:

> But I want to insert values from a file underlinux,
> and I don't want write any code for it.

Okay, that kind of information is important enough to appear in your /
first/ post.

> I hope sqlite3 > .import FILE
> can do it

It can't.  However, if you are good with a spreadsheet you can get
your data in two ways without any programming.  One is to add your own
column for the unique id numbers and use a trivial calculation to fill
it.  The other is to turn your text file into a set of import commands
to do the importing for you.  Then you can use .read instead.  The
first one is easy, for the second one ...

Import your data file into a spreadsheet, and make sure you have your
values in columns of the spreadsheet.  Then create a new column which
has the appropriate INSERT command to insert those values. In my
favourite spreadsheet application this would be something like

(formula to go in cell C1)

=CONCAT("INSERT mytable (name, age) VALUES ('",a1,"', "+b1+");")

Then fill the C column downwards with copies of that formula.

Once you have that, copy the contents of column C, paste it into a
text file, and you have all the instructions you'd need to put your
data into that table.  Then use the .read command in sqlite to run
those commands.

Simon.