I don't know why you have decided that C# or Java isn't competitive to native
compiled code.
After JIT there is no VM between Java/.NET and OS.

While C has better compiler than C# it still don't have JIT engine that can
optimize your code for specific hardware you're running on right now. Or it
can recompile code based on statistics. Options unavailable to native code.
And after all having managed implementation gives better control on code,
simpler code and so on. So in reality there should be strong reason for NOT
using managed implementations for whatever. But it's only rising now...

Jim Showalter-4 wrote:

> Could we not disparage different OSs and languages?
>
> A fair comparison of performance isn't between a C and C#
> implementation of SQLite, but between a C# and Java implementation of
> SQLite. Both C# and Java are managed languages that run atop a VM that
> runs atop an OS. C is down on the metal. I would expect the C version
> to be faster.
>
> I don't know the background of why this programmer did a port directly
> to C# instead of binding C# to the existing C library, but I assume he
> had his reasons.

-----
Best Regards.
Max Kosenko.