Hello!

On Sunday 20 September 2009 02:42:30 Darren Duncan wrote:
> As for Tcl, well one solution there is to create a new singleton TCL type and
> use its one value to correspond to NULL, and so then empty string will
> continue
> to just mean empty string, as it should.  Not being able to distinguish
> known-to-be-an-empty-string from unknown-or-N/A value is a bad thing.

In human interface can be used 'not defined' or 'overload' or any other value
and all of these together in dependence of the situation. SQLite can store
'undef' and 'overload' and other values into integer or fload fields and this
behaviour is fine. Application can operate with correct data by checking
a typeof().

For single undefined value we can do more simple. Empty string or 'undefined'
values are equal because have the same typeof()=text. I don't see any reasons
to use a new singleton TCL type inside of empty string.

Best regards, Alexey Pechnikov.
http://pechnikov.tel/