Yes, I know, if it "hurts when I press here," then I shouldn't "press
here," but, so it goes...

I have an account creation form -- users enter their email and their
desired username, and the form --

onblur from the username field, sends off an ajax request to see if
the desired username already exists in the db, and if yes, it sends
back a suggestion;

onblur from the email field, sends off an ajax request to see if the
email already exists in the db, and if yes...

If neither the username nor the email exist in the db, then the
application creates a record and informs the user of success. Except,
the previous ajax request (I am assuming it is the previous ajax
request from onblur event from the email field) has locked the
database, and the app returns an error that "the database is locked."

So, what suggestion might you all have for getting around this?

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org