On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Clark Christensen <cdcmi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry for top-posting...
>
> What's running on the the server?  A Perl CGI script?  Apache HTTPD?
> mod-perl?

Although I have Apache mod_perl installed, I am running a plain
vanilla Perl cgi script for now.

> Is the AJAX exchange asyncronous?

Ajax is always asynchronous. That is what the first "A" in Ajax is.

> Are you sure the first AJAX exchange is finished when the second one fires?

Am I sure? Not really. I guess it is not finished when the second one
fires, which is what causes the database lock, no?

> Does the AJAX request wait for a 200 response?

I am using jQuery. It does what it does. I don't do anything special.

> Assuming Perl, are you explicitly closing the DB with  $dbh->disconnect (as
> opposed to $dbh = undef)?  Does the script end with an exit instruction?

I am not doing $dbh->disconnect. DBI is supposed to that automatically
when the script finishes. Don't have any issues other than during
these Ajax calls.

>  I'm guessing you're sure there's no writer or writers that jumped-in.

I am sure no other process is interfering other than what I have
specified. I am sure because I am the only one using my laptop on
which I am doing the development. :-)

> Are you doing anything like modifying the default 30 second busy_timeout?
>Perhaps to too short a timeout?

I don't have any timeout set at all. Roger Binns suggestion a
busy_timeout, but I am not sure how to even use that. I am using DBI.
Where do I set sqlite busy_timeout? Besides, how would that help me?

> Sometimes it's useful to $dbh->disconnect before you print the response.
>
> I've seen this happen from time to time in my own environment.  It's annoying
> as hell.   It seems to always come down to when and how I disconnect from the
> DB file.
>
> I seldom see it in regular CGI scripts.  More often, I see it with
> mod_perl::PerlRun (I don't use mod_perl::Registry) when I open the $dbh in a
> module where $dbh is exported into the main package.

No, as I described, what I think is happening is that two Ajax events
are hitting the db at the nearly the same time. The first one is a
select (checking the db if the user exists), and the second is an
insert (creating a user because the user didn't exist). Even though
Javascript has gotten the response from the first event, and started
on the second process. sqlite is still busy from the first process, so
throws a lockout.

Yes, it is very annoying. I have to figure out some other shenanigans
to prevent this from happening.