Very true Simon,

this has been the fastest way so far and I can do around
350000 selects/second this way, using prepared statements
(on my machine at least), but I need more speed.

That's why I want to skip the SQL processing entirely
and write a C function that reaches directly into the
internal memory structures to gets my record from there.

thanks,
Ron